Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians
  4. >
  5. Living / Travelling in Italy

Death on Italian territory

Registration of death is obligatory and must be done within 24 hours at the Ufficio di Stato Civile (Vital Statistics office) in the city or town where the death occurred. Registration must be done by:

  • the hospital or institiution, if the death took place there
  • a relative of the deceased or someone appointed by a relative (e.g. funeral home), if the death took place at home

In the case of a violent death (e.g. accident, suicide), the magistrate or the criminal police officer, assisted by a coroner, must file a report specifying the condition of the body, the related circumstances surrounding the death and the deceased's personal information (name, place and date of birth, profession and residence). The magistrate or the police officer will provide the information contained in the report to the Ufficio di Stato Civile where the person died, in order to file a death certificate. The body can be buried 24 hours after the death.

An autopsy is usually performed, unless the death occurs in a hospital.

More information can be found at Il Portale Nazionale del Cittadino (only in Italian) under "Eventi della Vita - Avere una Famiglia - Perdere un proprio caro."

Death Certificate

You will need to apply for a Death Certificate from the Ufficio di Stato Civile in the municipality (comune) where the death occurred. It is advisable to request 10-15 certified copies, as they will be required in Canada for managing the deceased person's estate, paying any taxes and debts, closing bank accounts, etc.

Repatriation of Remains or Cremated Ashes

The Canadian Embassy's Consular Services provides support and assistance in cases of death.

If the remains or cremated ashes are to be shipped abroad, by Italian law a Nulla Osta or Certificate of No Impediment is required. The Nulla Osta must be issued by the embassy of the country where the remains or ashes will be shipped. The Canadian Embassy can issue a Nulla Osta upon request (fees apply), upon presentation of the appropriate documentation. The funeral home can request the Nulla Osta on behalf of the family.


Date Modified: