Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians
  4. >
  5. Living / Travelling in Italy

Retirement and Pensions


Canada Pension Plan (CPP) and Old Age Security

Canada has a Social Security agreement with Italy which co-ordinates the pension programs of both countries and enables you to apply for benefits based on the periods you have lived or worked in Canada and Italy.

If you live in Italy, you can apply for the following Canadian benefits at your nearest Istituto Nazionale della Previdenza Sociale (INPS) office:

  • Canada Pension Plan (CPP)
  • Old Age Security Pension (OAS)


If you are aged 65 or you are between 60 and 64 and have entirely or largely stopped working, you are entitled to some CPP benefits. The CPP is applicable in all provinces except Quebec. Payment of this retirement pension does not start automatically unless you are already collecting a CPP disability pension; you have to request it. If you are not receiving your CPP pension cheque, please contact International Operations of Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC) directly.

The Agreement on Social Security between Canada and Italy allows for the transfer of your Pension Plan benefits.


The Old Age Security Pension, the basic retirement plan for which all Canadians are eligible, is granted by the federal government. This is a basic monthly benefit paid on request to persons at least 65 years of age. It may be supplemented by the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) or the Quebec Pension Plan (QPP) depending on income. The Old Age Security Pension is exportable if the following eligibility conditions are met:

  • having been a Canadian citizen or legal resident of Canada the day preceding the day when you ceased to live in Canada, and
  • having been a resident of Canada for at least 20 years after reaching age 18.

Application form

You can apply for CPP and Old Age Security by:

  1. obtaining an application form from INPS
  2. downloading the application from the internet
  3. downloading the application from the internet (Italian version)
  4. completing the application on line (CPP only)

If you choose 1), 2) or 3) above, the completed application form should be returned to INPS, who will forward it to the International Operations Division of HRSDC in Ottawa.

For more information on CPP and Old Age Security, please consult the following:

For more information on the Social Security Agreement between Canada and Italy, please contact:

Please consult the Service Canada website and the Régie des rentes (Quebec Pension Plan) website for more information.

A new treaty between Canada and Italy came into force November 25, 2011. For more information go to How the new Canada-Italy Income Tax Convention affects the taxation of pension payments and social security benefits received

* If you require a plug-in or a third-party software to view this file, please visit the alternative formats section of our help page .


Date Modified: