Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians
  4. >
  5. Living / Travelling in Japan


In Canada

Each province or territory establishes their own regulations governing divorce within their jurisdiction. If you have married in Canada and wish to divorce, please contact the authorities in the provincial or territorial jurisdiction in which the marriage was solemnized.

Some provinces, through their web pages, provide information on divorce and you will find these links below.

In Japan

There are several ways in which divorce procedures are carried out in Japan. We strongly suggest that you seek legal advice on how to proceed with your divorce. A list of legal service providers and lawyers can be found here

Please note that you do not need to report your divorce to the Embassy, but we do suggest that you have a copy of your divorce certificate (rikon todoke no juri shomeisho) translated and notarized. The Embassy and Consulates do not provide translation services, but can notarize it for you.

Having a Foreign Divorce Recognized in Canada


Date Modified: