Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians
  4. >
  5. Living / Travelling in Japan

Driver's License (Japanese)

In order to obtain a Japanese driver's license you must first obtain an official Japanese translation of your Canadian driver's license. You can request a translation from the Japan Automobile Federation, (tel: 03-6833-9010 in Tokyo, service in English is available).

Please note that in order for your Canadian license to be considered valid, you must have spent at least three months in Canada after your Canadian license was obtained. If your Canadian license was renewed within three months of your departure from Canada (or after your arrival in Japan), you will have to obtain from your provincial or territorial licensing office a record of your previous driving experience including the initial date of issuance of your provincial/territorial driver's license. This document will also have to be officially translated. Once in Japan, the Metropolitan/Prefectural police driving license offices may also request additional documents. Please contact your local Japanese office directly for more information.

After obtaining the translation, you must make application at a Metropolitan/Prefectural police licensing office. In Tokyo these offices are:

Fuchu Unten Menkyo Shikenjo
1-1 Tama-cho, 3-chome
Fuchu-shi, Tokyo
Tel: 0423-62-3591

Samezu Unten Menkyo Shikenjo
12-5, Hagashi-Oi 1-chome
Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo
Tel: 03-3474-1374

Koto Unten Menkyo Shikenjo
7-24 Shinsuna 1-chome
Koto-ku, Tokyo
Tel: 03-3699-1151

If you wish to know the locations of offices in your area of residence you should enquire at your ward or city office.

You will need to submit the following:

  • Canadian driver's license
  • A certified Japanese translation of Canadian driver's license by the Japan Automobile Federation
  • "Jumin-hyo" (residency certificate) available from your local ward/city/town hall
  • One photograph (3cm in length x 2.4 cm in width)
  • Canadian passport
  • Fee (please contact the licensing office directly for the current fees)

Additionally, you will be asked to take an eye-test at the licensing office.




Date Modified: