Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians
  4. >
  5. Living / Travelling in Japan


Important notice:

If you are a dual Canadian citizen used to travelling to or transiting through Canada by air with a non-Canadian passport, you will no longer be able to do so as of November 10, 2016. You will need a valid Canadian passport to board your flight.

If your country needs you to enter and exit that country using a passport issued by its government, you will still need a valid Canadian passport to board your flight to Canada. Make sure to carry both passports when you travel.

For a limited time, you may have the option to board your flight with a valid passport from a visa-exempt country if you qualify for a special authorization. Otherwise, you will have to reschedule your flight and get a valid Canadian passport. For more information, please see the announcement on Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’ website:

Important message regarding simplified applications for adults

A simplified passport renewal procedure was implemented from August 6, 2012. To be eligible, you must meet ALL OF the following criteria:

  • you were at least 16 years of age at the time of your previous application;
  • the name on the renewal application is exactly as it appears on page 2 of the submitted passport; and
  • your most recent passport
    • was issued to you in Canada OR was issued to you outside of Canada after April 30, 2006;
    • is still valid or expired for no more than one (1) year;
    • was/is valid for five (5) years;
    • is not damaged; and
    • was never reported lost or stolen

General Information

Canadian passport services are only available from the Canadian Embassy in Tokyo. However, the Consulates can provide notarial services related to passport matters if required.

Due to ongoing concerns related to the spread of Coronavirus disease (COVID-19), preventive measures have been enacted throughout our global network of offices. Many Government of Canada offices are encouraging clients to limit in-person visits.

Until further notice, passport and citizenship applications should be submitted by mail or courier to the Embassy of Canada in Tokyo:

Embassy of Canada to Japan
Consular section
7-3-38 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-8503

Application Forms

Downloadable passport forms are available on the Passport Canada website.

Alternatively, if you would like an application form mailed to you, please call us at 03-5412-6200 or e-mail us at and provide us with your name, mailing address, and a daytime telephone number and we will send the application kit to you.

Please read the following sections carefully, as well as the instructions printed on the application form, and make certain that you have met all the requirements to ensure efficient service.

It takes 20 working days to process a passport application once the necessary forms, supporting documents and fees are received. You should plan accordingly to avoid disappointment.


Canadian passports are issued for a maximum period of ten years for adults, and five years for children. Applications to renew are usually accepted anytime within 12 months of the expiry date or if all visa pages are full.

Note: Many countries in Asia require a passport to be valid for at least 6 months following entry to that country or following anticipated departure from that country. If you are planning to travel during the last six to eight months of your passport's period of validity you should ensure the period of validity is sufficient to permit you entry to the country of destination.

Application for Canadian Adult Passport Eligible for Simplified Renewal

A person 16 years of age or older who is applying for a Canadian passport and eligible for simplified renewal must:

  1. Complete application form PPTC 482 (adult simplified renewal abroad passport application).
  2. Follow the instructions on the form.
  3. Fees (Please see Fee table in Can$ & Yen).

Application for Canadian Adult Passport for those not eligible for Simplified Renewal

A person 16 years of age or older who is applying for a Canadian passport but not eligible for Simplified Renewal:

  1. Complete application form PPTC 040 (Canadian living abroad).
  2. Follow the instructions on the form.
  3. Fees (Please see Fee table in Can $ and Yen).

Application for Canadian Child's Passport

For children between 0 years to under 16 year of age: valid for 5 years

If an application is being made for a Canadian passport for a child under the age of 16, you must:

  1. Complete application form PPTC 042 The form is to bear the signatures of both parents in section 2 on the front page, as well as one by the applying parent on reverse.
  2. Follow the instructions on the form.
  3. Fees (Please see Fee table in Can$ & Yen).
  4. If you are sending your child's application by mail, please include a photocopy of the applying parent's photo ID.

Important notes:

  • Proof of Canadian citizenship is required to support each child passport application. If your child was born abroad and you have not yet applied for their Canadian citizenship certificate, we urge you to submit the Citizenship application as soon as possible after the birth of your child. Citizenship application can be a very lengthy process. Currently, it may take about six months to one year to process.
  • If you have immediate travel plans and they cannot be deferred, in addition to all required documents above, you need to submit your child's travel itinerary that shows proof of payment. We will assess your case to issue a limited validity passport to meet your child's travel needs.
  • If you need to apply for a Japanese visa for your child to remain in Japan, in addition to all required documents above, you need to submit a written declaration. (Sample: I, xxx xxx, am required to obtain a passport for my daughter/son, xxxx xxxx, so that she/he may receive a visa from Japanese Immigration Authority to remain in Japan.)

Lost, Stolen, Damaged, or Inaccessible Passports

Canadian passports are valuable documents. Unfortunately, passports that have been lost or stolen often end up being used in criminal activities. Canadians who demonstrate incapacity to properly safeguard passports can be denied access to passport services.

If your passport has been lost or stolen, you need to report it immediately to the passport issuing office nearest you. If the loss/theft occurred in Japan, please telephone the Embassy at (03) 5412-6200 or send an e-mail to and an Operations Officer at the Emergency Services Division in Ottawa will assist you. Officers are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

For each lost/stolen passport, you must report the matter to the nearest police station and obtain a detailed police report. You will be required to submit the original police report in support of your application. After reporting the lost/stolen passport to our office or to the Operations Officers, and to the police, you can begin preparing an application form for issuance of a new passport if you need to travel.

How to Apply for a Replacement Passport

A person who is applying for a replacement of a Canadian passport that was lost, stolen, or inaccessible must:

  1. Complete application form PPTC 040 (Canadians living abroad).
  2. Follow the instructions on the form.
  3. Fill out the form "Declaration concerning a lost, stolen, inaccessible, damaged or found Canadian travel document PPTC203"
  4. Fees (Please see Fee table in Can$ & Yen).

Note: If you are not in possession of an original proof of citizenship (a birth certificate for applicants born in Canada or citizenship certificate for applicants born outside of Canada) you are expected to offer proof that an application for a replacement certificate has been made before the passport application will be considered.

Passport Photograph Specifications

Please note that passport photograph specifications are different from what is required for Canadian citizenship certificates.

In addition to the information below, please refer to the Passport Canada website for further information on passport photos.

Information for Photographers

The name and address of the photographer and the date the photos were taken must appear in English or French on the back of one of the photos.

Specific Requirement Details

Guarantor requirements for adults not eligible for simplified renewal and for children.

Please note that the list of eligible guarantors has changed as of December 9, 2013.

Your guarantor must perform the following tasks free of change:

  1. Certify the information on your application (which you must have completed in advance) by filling in and signing the "Declaration of Guarantor" section.
  2. Write, "I certify this to be a true likeness of (your name)" on the back of one of or the passport photos and sign.
  3. If applicable, sign and date a photocopy of your supplementary documentation to support your identity.

Your guarantor must also have known you personally for at least two (2) years and be one of the following;

A Canadian passport holder of any occupation who:

  • must be a Canadian citizen 18 years of age or older and must have been 16 years of age or older when they applied for their own passport;
  • must hold a full validity Canadian passport that is valid or has been expired for no more than one year;
  • must have known the applicant for at least two years; and
  • must be accessible to Passport Canada/ the Embassy of Canada for verification.
  • Family members may act as guarantors as long as they meet the eligibility criteria. This also includes the "other parent" on the child application form.

If the guarantor is not a Canadian passport holder, he/she must meet the eligibility criteria. The guarantor must:

  • have known you personally for at least two (2) years and be residing in Japan (their nationality does not matter);
  • in the case of a child, the guarantor must have known the applicant (parent or legal guardian) personally for at least two (2) years and have knowledge of the child;
  • be accessible for verification by Passport Canada/the Embassy of Canada;
  • be one of the following:
    • Medical doctor
    • Dean/Head of university or college
    • Dentist
    • Judge
    • Lawyer/Notary
    • Notary public
    • Pharmacist
    • Police officer
    • Signing officer of a bank, trust company or financial institution that offers a full range of banking services (cash withdrawals, deposits, savings)
    • Veterinarian

For verification purposes, occupation-based guarantors must currently be registered/licensed with the appropriate local authority to practice their profession, and must also currently work and/or reside within the area of accreditation served by the Canadian government office abroad where the application is submitted.

A relative may act as a guarantor for passport purposes provided he/she meets the specified requirements.

Guarantor requirements in Japanese

Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor Requirements

If you are not eligible for simplified renewal, do not have a guarantor and are completing a "Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor" (form PPTC 132), which can be obtained by request from the Embassy, refer to specific instructions on the form.

In addition, please note that references on this declaration form must be different from the ones on the passport application form. This form must be signed by you in front of an officer at the Canadian Embassy or Consulates or in front of a notary public. (Kosho Yakuba or Kosho-nin in Japanese. A list of Kosho Yakuba in your area can be provided by the Embassy upon request.

For residents of Tohoku, Shikoku and Okinawa, please contact the Embassy's Consular Section in Tokyo for information on the Signature Witness Service rendered by designated local law firms in your region.

At the time of signing you must present two other pieces of personal identification, of which at least one must bear your photo and one must bear your signature.

Canadians Born in Quebec

Since November 2001, only birth certificates issued on or after 1 January 1994 by Quebec's Le Directeur de état civil are accepted. If you need to apply for a new birth certificate, please do so via the Directeur de l'état civil website.

Mailing Address

Consular Section
Embassy of Canada
7-3-38 Akasaka, Minato-ku
Tokyo 107-8503, Japan


Please contact Japanese Immigration for information on any necessary procedures after receiving your new passport.


Date Modified: