Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians
  4. >
  5. Living / Travelling in Japan


Canadian Taxation

Canadian taxation information and taxation forms for non-residents can be accessed electronically by visiting the Canada Revenue Agency site.

Employees of our Consular Sections are not tax experts, and due to the complexity of tax issues, Consular Section staff will not dispense taxation information. Canadians in Japan who seek information about their Canadian taxation obligations should contact:

International Tax Services Office

1050 Notre Dame Ave
Sudbury ON  P3A 5C1

Fax: +1-705-671-0794
Tel from Japan: +1-613-940-8495 (collect calls accepted)
Operation hours: Monday-Friday: 09:00-1700 (Eastern Time)

Japanese Taxation

In general, personal taxation in Japan consists of taxes which are imposed by the national government (income tax) and taxes which are imposed by the prefectures and municipalities (resident's tax).

Personal income tax is levied on a calendar year basis and the filing dates are traditionally between mid-February and the end of March. For information about your liability for Japanese income tax you should consult your employer or the Regional Taxation Bureau in your area of residence.

For information about your liability for resident's tax you should consult your local ward or city office.




Date Modified: