Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians
  4. >
  5. Living / Travelling in Korea

Emergency evacuation 


  1. My Warden is ____________________ ,
    Telephone No. ____________________.
  2. My Deputy-Warden is ____________________ ,
    Telephone No. ____________________.
  3. The Canadian Embassy is at (02)3783-6000; Consular Section at (02)3783-6021,6013 or 6030.
  4. The Emergency Operations Centre, Department of Foreign Affairs, and International Trade and Development , Ottawa is at (613) 944-6788 (Travel Service) & (613) 996-8885 (Watch Office).


It is important for all Canadians to maintain their level of readiness to cope with any emergency situation. You will find below information to help you ensure your family’s safety by planning your own security plan.

It is recommended that:

  • you ensure that your travel documents, including your passport, are valid;
  • you have registered with the online Registry of Canadians Abroad (ROCA) and/or updated your registration with your latest information;
  • you read about the evacuations – FAQ.

Follow the links below to learn more about emergency preparedness.

Registration of Canadians Abroad

Evacuations - FAQ

Consult “Your emergency Kit – A checklist”, “Bring Your Money and Important Documents”, and the communications channels document, to increase your level of readiness to cope with an emergency.

A. Your Emergency Kit - A Checklist

** The Embassy recommends that you possess and hold the following items within easy reach, for inclusion in a portable Emergency Kit, in the event that a rapid departure from Korea is ever required :

Your Essential Food Supplies and Equipment

  • Carry your food, clothing, supplies and equipment in back packs.
  • Pack a minimum 3-day supply of non-perishable, lightweight, high energy, packaged and ready-to-eat food, per person.
  • Bring water canteens (1 litre size), and purification tablets for making water drinkable. Local river water can be made useable by treating it with Clorox bleach, at the rate of one teaspoon of bleach per gallon of water. Treated water should be shaken and then let stand 20 to 30 minutes before using it.
  • Toiletries : including toilet paper, soap, tissues.
  • Pack a 30-day supply of prescribed medicines.
  • If you have an infant or young child, bring a 3-day supply of essentials including baby -food, formula, diapers.
  • Bring sleeping bags or a supply of blankets.
  • Bring appropriate rugged clothing and shoes including rain wear, a protective hat and a warm coat, whatever the weather or season.
  • Bring insect repellent and sun protection lotion (15 SPF min.).
  • Bring a spare pair of eye wear, if necessary.
  • Carry a comprehensive first aid kit and pain relievers.
  • Possess a flashlight and include spare batteries.
  • Carry a portable, multi-band radio and extra batteries.
  • Maintain a 30 day supply of non-perishable food and drinking water in your house should you have to stay put, while awaiting an opportunity to evacuate safely.

B. Bring Your Money and Important Documents

1. For your emergency use, bring a modest supply of U.S. and Korean currency to defray incidental travel and subsistence, if required.

Evacuees should carry their Canadian passports, birth and citizenship certificates or cards, and marriage certificates if applicable. Remember that, in the determination of eligibility for assisted evacuation, it is your responsibility to provide documentary evidence to prove your claim to Canadian citizenship, as well as that of each member of your family accompanying you.

  • Korean residency documents
  • Adoption certificates
  • Wills and powers of attorney
  • Insurance policies and mortgage records
  • Chequebooks
  • Bankbooks and safe deposit box keys
  • Credit cards
  • Traveller's cheques
  • Family and pet health and immunization records
  • Prescription
  • Social Insurance Card
  • School records
  • Personal address books
  • A list of all assets, debts and contents of safe deposit box
  • A complete household inventory for personal insurance purposes.
  • The address, home and work telephone number of your warden
  • Photocopies of the identification pages of the passports of each family member
  • This Consular Emergency Evacuation Plan booklet.

Note: Whether or not you ever have to consider the prospect of assisted evacuation because of a military emergency or a natural disaster, it is a sound idea to keep all of the items listed here in a folio, a small briefcase or carry-on bag, in a safe but accessible place that can be reached immediately in an emergency.

C. Communication Channels


Only VOA can be counted upon to broadcast clearly all times. Other International services are often inaudible. In case of emergency, Canadians have to carefully listen to the public broadcasting such as TV and radio, but AFN should be their first source.

AFN(American Forces Korea Network)

FM: 102.7 MHz AM: 15.30KHz

AFN Frequencies in Korea
LocationFM RadioAM RadioTelevision Channel
Pohang 1512 


Date Modified: