Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians
  4. >
  5. Living / Travelling in Korea

Getting married in Korea


If you wish to get married while in Korea you can obtain a civil marriage under Korean law. Marriage is a civil procedure in Korea, and performing a religious ceremony only does not constitute a legal marriage. For your marriage to be legally recognized in Korea and hence, legally recognized in Canada, you and your fiancé (e) must be free to marry, must report and register your marriage to the appropriate civil authorities.

You cannot get married at a Canadian embassy or consulate. Canadian consular officials do not perform marriage ceremonies, and they do not have to attend a marriage ceremony in a foreign country. Marriages that are legally performed in a foreign country are usually valid in Canada, and you do not need to register them in Canada. While consular officials are not authorized to perform marriage ceremonies, we can, however, notarize necessary documents for a civil marriage in Korea.


You must take the following steps to get married in Korea.

Step 1 – Canadians are required to appear in person at the Embassy of Canada in Seoul or the Consulate of Canada in Busan and complete one copy of the Affidavit of Eligibility of Marriage. You should also provide a piece of identification (i.e. passport and/or birth certificate).

Please be advised that only clients with an appointment will be accepted for routine services

Step 2 – You will be required to bring the notarized copy of the Affidavit of Eligibility of Marriage to your local district office (Gu Cheong) to report and register your marriage. At the local district office, you will need to provide information on yours and your wife’s witnesses such as their names, date of birth, ID numbers and addresses, and their personal seals or signatures.

The Korean district office will issue the following:

  • a filing receipt on the day of report;
  • a verification certificate, which has similar effect as the Korean marriage certificate(3~5 days required); or
  • marriage certificate (family register), issued when the marriage is between a Korean citizen and a foreign resident alien (7 days required).

** Please note:  For a marriage between two foreigners, the verification certificate will be issued on the same day.

Required documents

  • Affidavit of Eligibility of Marriage (1 copy) l PDF * (286 KB) ,
  • Canadian passport ,
  • Proof of termination of any prior marriage(s) such as an original or certified divorce certificate, annulment or death certificate of your previous spouse (when applicable).

*Please note that if your fiancé(e) is not Korean they should contact their embassy in Korea and seek advice on requirements on getting married in Korea.


Marriage to a Canadian citizen does not automatically confer permanent resident or citizenship status on the Korean spouse. To obtain permanent resident status, the Canadian partner must complete an undertaking to sponsor his/her spouse at a Canadian Immigration Centre in Canada. The Korean national must then meet all civil and medical requirements before a visa can be issued. Processing times vary according to individual circumstances, and the applicant is normally required to remain in Korea until such time as the Visa can be issued.

Learn about sponsoring your spouse for immigration to Canada.

* If you require a plug-in or a third-party software to view this file, please visit the alternative formats section of our help page .


Date Modified: