Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home

Appropriate travel documents are necessary to fly to Canada, starting November 10

The Government of Canada reminds citizens of the Republic of Korea, including dual Canadian citizens, to obtain the appropriate travel documents before booking their flight to Canada. 

Starting November 10, 2016, citizens of the Republic of Korea will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to Canada. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, will need a valid Canadian passport to board their flight to Canada.

To help minimize travel disruptions for dual Canadian citizens, a short-term measure is available to dual citizens whose second citizenship is from a visa-exempt country. These dual citizens can apply for a special authorization that will let them board their flight using their valid non-Canadian passport.

This short-term measure, which will be available until January 31, 2017, is open to dual citizens who have an imminent flight to Canada (leaving in less than ten days) and whose Canadian citizenship can be electronically verified by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). If approved, the authorization will be valid for four days from the date of travel indicated in the application. Those not eligible for the authorization will need to contact the nearest Government of Canada office abroad to obtain the appropriate travel document. 

Quick facts 

Associated links 


Date Modified: