Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home

Citizens of the Republic of Korea will soon need an Electronic Travel Authorization to fly to Canada

March 8, 2016Seoul — To ensure travelling to Canada remains easy and stress-free, the Government of Canada encourages citizens of the Republic of Korea flying to Canada this spring or summer to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before booking their flight.

On March 15, 2016, citizens of countries that normally do not need a visa to travel to Canada will be expected to have an eTA to fly to or transit through Canada. This includes citizens of the Republic of Korea. However, Canada will show leniency to travellers who are caught unaware over the months following eTA implementation. This leniency period is to make sure travellers are not inconvenienced and to minimize any travel disruptions during Canada’s busy summer travel season.

An eTA allows the Government of Canada to check that visitors coming to the country are admissible before they board their flight. This, in turn, may facilitate travellers’ entry into Canada. 

Although eTA is a new step for travellers, applying for one is a simple, inexpensive ($7 Canadian) online process that will take just minutes to complete. In most cases, the eTA is granted within minutes of applying.

Quick facts

  • An eTA is valid for five years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first. This means travellers can fly to Canada without reapplying as long as their eTA and passport remain valid.
  • The Government of Canada website at is the only valid site to apply for an eTA. A number of companies have established websites to charge a fee to submit eTA applications. However, these companies are not operating on behalf of the Government of Canada.
  • Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, are not eligible to apply for an eTA and are strongly encouraged to travel with a valid Canadian passport. Find out more at
  • Canadian permanent residents are also not eligible to apply for an eTA, and, as always, need to show their valid permanent resident card in addition to their valid foreign passport when travelling to Canada.

Associated links 

For media enquiries


Date Modified: