Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada



The following brochures on Customs regulations on re-entering Canada are available online:

General customs information is available on the website of the Canada Border Services Agency. The number to reach Canada Customs outside Canada is 506-636-5064 (long distance charges apply).

If you are returning to Canada and want to send your belongings back, it is strongly recommended that you contact a customs broker or an international moving company in order to facilitate customs paperwork:

Customs Brokers in Mexico

The following organizations can assist you in find a customs broker with international experience.

The Confederation of Customs Brokers Associations in Mexico - CAAAREM (Confederación de Asociaciones de Agentes Aduanales de la República Mexicana): (55) 3300-7500

Customs Mexico (Aduanas México): 01-800-463-6728

International Moving and Relocation Services Companies in Mexico

Please note that this list is provided as information only and does not constitute a recommendation of any of the companies mentioned:

Trafimar Relocation Services - Tel. (55) 5312-9935
International Moving and Storage - Tel. (55) 5763-9185 / 9955
ATI Autotransportes Internacionales - Tel. (55) 5531-2416 / 3203
CIME - Tel. (55) 5398-6712 / (55) 5362-0598

Dogs and Cats:

For information on the entry of animals as dogs and cats, among others, into Canada, please visit the section that discusses pet imports on the website of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency or contact:

Animal Health Division
Canadian Food Inspection Agency
59 Camelot Drive
Ottawa, Ontario, K1A-0Y9
Telephone: 613-225-2342
Facsimile: 613-228-6631

If you wish to take your dog or cat from Mexico to Canada, you will have to obtain rabies and other vaccination certificates from a veterinarian. These health certificates must be issued in letterhead paper in Spanish and English or French no more than a week prior to your departure date. For details on what the health certificate of your animal should mention, please visit the above mentionned website. To obtain a travel certificate, you will also need to present a copy of your veteriarian's licence and up-to-date certificates of vaccination and disinfestation for your pet.

Your dog or cat may enter Canada without quarantine if the certificate shows that the animal was vaccinated against rabies not more than one year and not less than 30 days preceding the date of importation into Canada. Rabies vaccination is not recognized if it is performed before the animal reaches three months of age. Fees are payable in Canada for inspection of cats and dogs being imported or returning to Canada.

In Case of Border Crossing by Air from Mexico City: Before your departure, please verify with your airline if they accept transporting animals out of Mexico and their requirements.
At the airport: Take both rabies and health certificates to the International Airport in Mexico City, Gate E, International Arrivals, to obtain the travel certificate (Certificado de Exportación de Animales from SAGARPA).


Information on Customs regulations when entering Mexico by plane or by land can be found in English on the website of the Mexican Department of Finance:

Formalities for entering Mexico

Mandatory Money Declaration

If you are carrying more than US$10,000, or its equivalent in other currencies, in cash, checks, money orders or any other monetary instrument, or a combination of them, you must declare the amount exceeding US$10,000. You will not have to pay duties or taxes, but you must declare it on the Customs Declaration form.

Failing to declare it is sanctioned by the Mexican law, often resulting in detention.

Temporary Importation of Vehicles

Information on how to obtain a temporary importation permit when entering Mexico by land can be found in the website of the Mexican Department of Finance.

If you reside in Canada, you can apply for a temporary importation permit (available in English) on the Internet from 10 to 180 days before your trip.

If you did not apply for a permit in advance, please note that, when entering Mexico, you must stop at the Banjercito IITV modules -that can be located 5 to 15 miles after the border crossing -  in order to obtain your Temporary Import Permit.

In both cases, note that you must stop at the immigration (INAMI) module at the border to obtain your tourist card.

When you leave Mexico, you have to register the return of your vehicle when crossing the border. When leaving Mexico, you must stop at any Banjercito IITV module - sometimes located 10 to 15 miles before the border crossing. You will have to present the vehicle you entered Mexico with and the Temporary Import Permit in order to register the vehicle as having returned to the country of origin. A return certificate will be issued.

If you have failed to return your temporary importation permit at the time of departure from Mexico, you must return your permit in person at any Banjercito IITV module (in Spanish only) at any border point and present the vehicle. It is not possible to mail the permit to the border point as it would not be cancelled and remain outstanding.

To obtain more information, please contact Mexican Customs at: 
1-877-448-8728 from Canada /USA (service in English)

For general information on permits you can call:
011-52-55-5626-0500 ext. 2305, 2309 hours 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday-Friday

* If you require a plug-in or a third-party software to view this file, please visit the alternative formats section of our help page.


Date Modified: