Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada

Legal/Notarial services

Legal services

Notarial services

Legal Services

The Embassy does not provide legal advice. A list of lawyers in Mexico, who work in English and/or French, is available on this website. The list is provided for your information and does not constitute a recommendation of any of the lawyers or law firms named.

Notarial Services

General Notarial Requirements:

Legalization of Canadian documents to be used for any legal purpose in Mexico
Directly contact the Mexican Embassy or Mexican Consulate closest to your place of residence in Canada or consult their websites for information and instructions regarding the legalization of Canadian documents to be used for any legal purpose in Mexico.

Legalization of Mexican documents to be used for any legal purpose in Canada
Documents issued in Mexico to be used in Canada must first be authenticated by the Mexican Ministry of the Interior (Secretaría de Gobernación) and the Department of Legalizations of the Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores) having jurisdiction over the region where such documents were originally issued.
Once authenticated, documents can be legalized by the Embassy of Canada in Mexico City or the consulates in their area of jurisdiction, and finally can be officially translated into English or French (should the institution in Canada requires this).

The Embassy does not offer advice on whether a certain document should be legalized. This information should be obtained from the institution where the document is to be presented.

Notarial Services Provided by the Embassy

** Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, notarial services at the Embassy of Canada in Mexico City and all Canadian consular points of service across Mexico are suspended until further notice **

Please note that Notarial Services are only provided by appointment from Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Before making an appointment online, please contact the Consular Section to verify the service you need can be provided.

Mexican citizens that require a notarized letter for their child or children to be able to travel to Canada must go to a Mexican Public Notary. The consular section of the Canadian Embassy is not able to provide this service

  1. Authentication of Signatures
    The Embassy authenticates the signatures of officers of the Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs (SRE).
  2. Certification of Signatures/Affidavits
    On a document to be presented in Canada, you may need to have your signature certified by a Consular Officer. The document should be sent by e-mail beforehand to ensure the service can be provided by a Consular Officer
  3. Fees
    Current fees and forms of payment.


Date Modified: