Senior Consular Officer
Position title: Senior Consular Officer
Appointment Process Nº: C05-2019
Term Type: Indeterminate
Term Details: This position is a LES (Locally Engaged Staff) position, subject to the Terms and Conditions of Employment for LES in Pakistan.
Department: Consular services
Number of Vacancies: 1
Classification: LE-07 (Locally Engaged Staff, level 7)
Base salary: 1 542 334 PKR/year
Location: Islamabad, Pakistan
Close date: Friday, December 13th, 2019 at 1:00 p.m.
Summary of Duties
Under general direction of the Deputy Management Consular Officer, the Senior Consular officer will:
- Assist with the Implementation of consular policy and objectives;
- Provide Consular Assistance /and Emergency Services within the mission consular program;
- Provide passport and citizenship services to Canadians;
- Administer and control the passport and citizenship programs;
- Administer and control the legal and notary services program
- Responsible for the cost recovery of the consular program
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with host authorities, organizations, and other diplomatic missions
- Provide functional direction on consular services delivered by missions, Honorary Consuls in Karachi and Lahore
- Performs other duties as required
Area of selection/Eligibility
This vacancy is open to all external applicants residing within in Pakistan and to all mission employees occupying an indeterminate or term position, including emergency employees. Before an offer of employment can be made, candidates must provide a local address as proof of residence in the specific city, region or country.
Candidates must have a valid work authorization covering the entire employment period. If the employment is indeterminate, the work authorization must be permanent or itself lead to a permanent work authorization. The Canadian High Commission to Pakistan does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly.
The Government of Canada is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of ethnic origin, religious belief, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other irrelevant factor.
Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, experience and language. Candidates must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter and CV how they meet each of these essential qualifications.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Sociology, Political Science, Social work, Security or any other field, related to consular work from a recognized university.
- Fluency in English and Urdu. Knowledge of French is an asset
Experience: At least 5 years of experience
- Working as a consular officer or a social worker or other relevant field;
- Interacting with local and international stakeholders
- Analyzing and interpreting family and/or consular related local laws and/or international/bilateral treaties and protocol;
- Managing complex emergency situations;
- Writing articles and official communications on the behalf of an organization;
- Managing social media; and
- Briefing management on strategic issues.
The Rated Requirements relating to knowledge, abilities and competencies will also be assessed. Methods of assessment may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests, and/or presentations.
- Professional integrity, tact, and dependability
- Initiative and sound judgment
- Ability to meet tight deadlines
- Proficient in teamwork and cooperation
- Strong Effective interactive communication skills
- Proficiency with computers in a Windows environment
- Effective performance under pressure
- Ability to engage in creative problem solving
- Attention to details
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Client Focus
Operational Requirements and Conditions of Employment
- Ability to work occasional overtime as required
- Ability to travel within Pakistan and internationally
- Required to adhere to Canada’s Code on Values and Ethics for the Public Sector.
- Hours of Work: 37.5 hours per week, Monday to Thursday 8:00 to 17:00 and Friday 8:00 to 12:30.
- Obtain and continue to maintain a Reliability Status (security clearance) from the Government of Canada covering the entire employment period.
- Currently hold, or be eligible to obtain and hold a passport for travel throughout the employment period.
How to apply
Candidates are to send their resume in English or French with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Job title in the subject line.
Cover letter must follow this format:
- The cover letter must clearly explain how you meet all the mandatory criteria and the format must be the following :
- Title (mandatory criteria)
- Explanation in 150 words or less on how you meet the criteria with concrete examples that demonstrate how you meet each criteria. The maximum word count allowed for each of the criteria is 150 words. Failure follow the format or answering with more than the word count will automatically lead to disqualification.
- The mandatory criteria expected to be covered are:
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Sociology, Political Science, Social work, Security or any other filed, related to consular work from a recognized university (150 words max.)
- Fluency in English and Urdu (150 words max.)
- At least 5 years of experience
- working as a consular officer or a social worker or other relevant field (150 words);
- interacting with local and international stakeholders(150 words);
- analyzing and interpreting family and/or consular related local laws and/or international/bilateral treaties and protocol (150 words);
- managing complex emergency situations (150 words);
- writing articles and official communications on the behalf of an organization(150 words);
- managing social media (150 words); and
- briefing management on strategic issues (150 words).
Applications which do not include all of the requested documents or information will be rejected.
Candidates who are unable to submit their application due to technical difficulties must report these to: email@example.com prior to the closing date. Failure to so will result in the application being rejected.
- Only applications submitted in one of the official languages of Canada will be accepted (English or French). Candidates are entitled to participate in the recruitment process in the official language of their choice and to indicate their preferred official language in their application.
- Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidates to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
- Candidates who apply to this vacancy should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including spam folder.
- Reference checks forming part of the selection process will be sought for candidates who reach interview stage.
- The High Commission of Canada to Pakistan does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
- Candidates requiring any special accommodation for exams or interviews are requested to inform us upon being invited to the exam/interview. The results of this recruitment process may also be used to establish an eligibility list of qualified candidates for similar openings at the High Commission of Canada to Pakistan which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this recruitment process.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment process.
- Date Modified: