Canada - Romania Relations
Canada and Romania enjoy friendly relations, particularly in the security domain. An estimated 230,000 Canadians claim some Romanian heritage. Canada is represented in Romania at the Embassy of Canada in Bucharest. Romania is represented in Canada at The Embassy of Romania in Ottawa. Romania has consulates in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.
Canada and Romania are both members of NATO, the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), La Francophonie, and the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA).
Canada and Romania have a number of bilateral agreements, including on foreign investment protection, double taxation avoidance, social security, extradition, nuclear cooperation, and mutual legal assistance in criminal matters.
Canada and Romania enjoy mutually beneficial commercial relations, including through trade, investment, and cooperation on innovation, science and technology. The Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement provides opportunities to strengthen the bilateral economic relationship. In 2020 bilateral trade totalled almost $590 million with Canadian exports of $155 million and imports of over $435 million.
- La Francophonie
- International Civil Aviation Organization
- International Criminal Court
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization
- Open Government Partnership
- Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe
- The Pacific Alliance
- United Nations
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
- World Trade Organization
Trade and investment agreements
- Canada-European Union: Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA)
- Canada-Romania Foreign Investment Promotion and Protection Agreement
- World Trade Organization Agreement on Trade Facilitation (TFA)
- Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS)
- Agreement on Trade-related Investment Measures (TRIMS)
- General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade 1994 (GATT)
- General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS)
- World Trade Organization Information Technology Agreement (ITA)
- World Trade Organization Agreement on Government Procurement (GPA)
- Date Modified: