Do you intend to get married in Romania?

Marriages are never celebrated at the Embassy. Religious marriages in Romania cannot be performed until after the civil ceremony.

The Embassy of Canada to Romania does not assist with marriage arrangements.

The following general information is given on a non-official basis and is subject to change by the Romanian authorities without notice. Please contact the local Municipality where the marriage will be performed for further instructions. A list of documents often required by the local authorities can be found at:  and/or

Romanian law requires Canadian citizens to present a "Certificat de Coutume" (Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage) that certifies their capacity to marry.
The Government of Canada does not issue "Certificats de coutume".  However, to assist Canadians to meet the local requirements, the Embassy of Canada issues an Affidavit containing the relevant information.

Obtaining an Affidavit from the Embassy of Canada to Romania

You must first complete the Affidavit to the effect that there is no impediment to the proposed marriage. Then, the Affidavit and the attached documents listed below must be brought to the Embassy of Canada in Bucharest :

  • original or certified true copy of own valid Canadian passport;
  • original or certified copy of the fiancé(e)’s valid passport or local identity card.

Important: If you and your fiancé(e) are both Canadian citizens, you will each need to swear an Affidavit. Please consider that fees will, therefore, also be doubled.

Our service standard is 3 business days from the time we receive a complete Affidavit.

Fees and Methods of Payment

Fees are payable for each Affidavit, if sworn at the Embassy; they are non-refundable. For more information, please see Fees and Method of Payment .

Where do I submit the Affidavit?

Embassy of Canada to Romania
Consular Services
1-3 Tuberozelor Street,
011411 Bucharest, Sector 1,

Notarial services are provided Tuesday and Thursday from 09:00 to 12:00, except Statutory Holidays.

What to Do After the Marriage

Marriages that are legally performed in a foreign country are usually valid in Canada, and you do not need to register them in Canada. If you have questions about the validity of your foreign marriage, contact the Vital Statistics Office of your province or territory.