Canada - Montenegro Relations
Canada recognized the Montenegro’s independence in 2006. Canada and Montenegro established diplomatic relations in September, 2006. In Montenegro, Canada is represented by the Embassy of Canada to Serbia, Macedonia and Montenegro. Montenegro is formally represented in Canada by an Embassy in Washington, D.C. Montenegro opened a Consulate and appointed an Honorary Consul in Vancouver, British Columbia in 2010 and in Toronto in 2017.
In 2018, Canada’s total goods traded with Montenegro was worth $11.75 million (up from $8.5 million in 2017). Canadian exports to Montenegro were valued at $7.43 million. Canadian exports to Montenegro consisted of fish and seafood, vegetable products, vehicles and transport equipment, and food products. Canada’s imports from Montenegro were valued at $4.3 million. These imports mostly comprised of electrical machinery and equipment, beverages (including wines), vegetable products, and furniture.
Through the Canada Fund for Local Initiatives, Canada continues to provide international assistance in Montenegro. The Fund aids local partners in Montenegro with projects that build respect for the rule of law and human rights, increase public engagement and combat corruption.
Since 2007, Montenegro has participated in the Department of National Defence’s Military Training and Co-operation Program (MTCP). MTCP trains officers in language proficiency (English and French), peace-support operations, civil and military affairs, and staff duties and professional development.
- La Francophonie
- International Civil Aviation Organization
- International Criminal Court
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization
- Open Government Partnership
- Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe
- United Nations
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
- World Trade Organization
Trade and investment agreements
- World Trade Organization Agreement on Trade Facilitation (TFA)
- Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS)
- Agreement on Trade-related Investment Measures (TRIMS)
- General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade 1994 (GATT)
- General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS)
- World Trade Organization Information Technology Agreement (ITA)
- World Trade Organization Agreement on Government Procurement (GPA)
- Date Modified: