Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians
  4. >
  5. Living/Travelling in Spain

Marriage formalities in spain

The following general information is given on a non-official basis and is subject to change by the Spanish authorities without notice. For complete information, please contact the Civil Registry, Court, City Hall or Church where the marriage is to be performed.

Please be advised that Canadian diplomatic and consular officers are not permitted under the law of Canada to solemnize marriages nor can they allow the solemnization of marriages in the consular premises.

In order to be married in Spain at least one of the two applicants must be a resident of Spain.

Civil marriage

Application for a civil marriage must be made, depending on the city, either to the Civil Registry or to the District Court (“Juzgado”). In Madrid the authority is the “Registro Civil” located at calle Pradillo 66, metro Alfonso XIII.

Below is a list of the documents often requested by Spanish authorities however please contact the authority which will perform your marriage for the complete list of required documents:

  • An application form to be obtained from the Civil Registry or Court in whose jurisdiction the marriage is to take place.
  • An original long-form birth certificate authenticated in Canada and translated into Spanish.  The certificate usually needs to have been issued within the last year however please contact the authority which will perform the marriage for confirmation.
  • A certificate of bachelorship or non-impediment to marriage. A declaration of bachelorship may be made at the Civil Registry in certain regions of Spain. Where this is not possible, a sworn declaration of bachelorship* can be made before the Consul at the Embassy or Consulates and a Statement in Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage* is issued to accompany it.
  • Divorced/widowed: Original marriage and death or divorce certificates, as the case may be, which must be authenticated and translated into Spanish.
  • Posting of banns:  The Embassy or Consulates may issue a letter* saying that this is not required in Canada.
  • Certificate of residence (“empadronamiento”): Residents of Spain may obtain this document from the “Tenencia de Alcaldía” in the district of residence. For non-residents, a sworn statement declaring the addresses of the last two years is included in the aforementioned sworn declaration of bachelorship.
  • A certificate of consular registration*: Issued by the Embassy or Consulates upon presentation of a valid Canadian passport and completion of the on-line registration of Canadians Abroad at , this certificate must include an address in Spain.

*Please consult the applicable fees

Authentication of required documents: Please see the instructions for the authentication of Canadian documents for use in Spain.

Translations: Translations should be done by a Spanish official translator.  The Embassy does not provide translation services. A list of official Spanish translators may be found on the website of the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Religious marriages

Religious catholic marriages are valid in Spain but must be registered. In order to register a marriage, the certificate issued by the Church must be taken to the Civil Registry in the jurisdiction it has taken place within one week after the ceremony.


Date Modified: