Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians
  4. >
  5. Living/Travelling Abroad

Driver’s Licences

The Embassy of Canada in Thailand does not handle driver’s licences or vehicle registration and cannot guarantee information herein. Please contact the relevant authority for the most up-to-date information.

Driving in Thailand requires either an International Driving Permit or a Thai Driver’s Licence. A Canadian licence is not sufficient. Tourists should acquire an International Driving Permit in Canada before they arrive in Thailand, as a Thai driver’s licence can only be obtained by residents of Thailand.

For residents of Thailand

Thai Driver’s Licence (for residents of Thailand)
Thai International Driving Permits (for residents of Thailand)

For residents of Canada

Canadian International Driving Permits (for residents of Canada)
Renewing a Canadian Driver’s Licence (for residents of Canada)

Thai Driver’s Licence

The Department of Land Transport is responsible for the registration of motor vehicles and issuance of driver’s and motorcycle licences in Thailand. In order to apply for a Thai Driver’s Licence, Canadians will require the following:

  • A completed application form,
  • A valid passport,
  • A valid non-immigrant visa (and work permit),
  • Canadian driver’s licence and photocopy,
  • Doctor’s certificate,
  • Two photos 2.5cm and,
  • A declaration confirming residency in Thailand (from the Embassy of Canada)
  • A fee of 105 Baht
  • Copy of work permit may be requested

For the declaration of residency, the Embassy requires applicants to produce proof of residency by showing at least one document with their name and address, such as a letter or bill from a utility company, bank, hospital, etc.

The current notary fee for this declaration is CAD $50.00. For exchange rate and method of payment, please consult the Consular Service Fee Schedule page.

Application can be made at the Licencing Office in the applicant’s district or by contacting the Department of Land Transport main office. Note that all the required forms are in Thai only, so an interpreter may be required. Once all application forms are completed, a written examination (road signs, regulations, etc.) and a driving test will be administered. This requirement is waived if the applicant has a valid Canadian licence. Finally, the licence will be issued once an eye exam is passed.

Department of Land Transport (Driving Licence Sub-Division)

Address: 1032 Phaholyothin Road, Bangkok 10900
Hours: Mon-Fri. 08:30 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 15:30
Main operator telephone: 0 2271-8888
Driver’s licence (passenger vehicles)telephone: ext 4201, 4202, 4203, 4204
Driver’s licence (motorcycles)telephone: 0 2272-3632

International Driving Permits issued in Thailand

Applicants must possess a Thai driver’s licence for at least one year to be eligible to apply for an International Driving Permit. International Driving Permits are valid for one year, but are not valid for driving within the country that issued the Permit. Applications are to be completed at the Department of Land Transport.

The following are required for application:

  • Valid passport
  • Work permit
  • Thai Non-Immigrant Visa
  • Residency declaration (from Embassy of Canada)
  • 2 photos size 6.5cm

Permits are issued at:

Department of Land Transport (Driving Licence Sub-Division)

Address: 1032 Phaholyothin Road, Bangkok 10900
Hours: Mon-Fri. 08:30 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 15:30
Main operator telephone: 0 2271-8888
Driver’s licence (passenger vehicles) telephone: ext 4201, 4202, 4203, 4204
Driver’s licence (motorcycles) telephone: 0 2272-3632

Information on

International Driving Permits issued in Canada

The Canadian Automobile Association (CAA) is the exclusive legal issuer of international permits in Canada. Application forms for an international permit can be downloaded online at: International Driving Permit

Canadian Automobile Association
International Documentation Services
CAA National office (613) 247-0117 ext. 2025.
Website: CAA

Renewing a Canadian Driver’s Licence

Inquiries about renewal and replacement Canadian Driver’s Licences should be made at the appropriate provincial licencing office:

Alberta Registry
Customer Services, North District
3rd Floor, Commerce Place
Suite 10155 - 102nd Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4L4
Tel: (780) 422-7330
Fax: (780) 422-4286

British Columbia
ICBC, Head Office
151 West Esplanade
North Vancouver, BC V7M 3H9
(604) 661-2800



Manitoba Highways
Motor Vehicle Licencing
1075 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3G 0S1
Tel: (204) 945-6850
Fax: (204) 945-0652

New Brunswick
Service New Brunswick



Newfoundland and Labrador
Motor Registration Division
P.O. Box 8710
St. John’s, Newfoundland A1B 4J5
Tel: (709) 729-2521
Fax: (709) 729-6955

Northwest Territories
Department of Transportation - Registration & Licensing
Lahm Ridge Bldg.
PO Box 1320
Yellowknife NT X1A 2L9
Tel: 867 873-7418
Fax: 867 873-0363



Nova Scotia
P.O. Box 1652
6061 Yonge Street
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2Z3
Tel: (902) 424-5851
Fax: (902) 424-0720

Department of Economic Development and Transportation
P.O. Box 2410
Iqaluit, Nunavut X0A 0H0
Tel: (867) 975-5028
Fax: (867) 975-5095



Ministry of Transportation
Licencing Assistance Section
2680 Keele Street
Downsview, Ontario M3M 3E6
Tel: (416) 235-2999
Fax: (416) 235-4414

Prince Edward Island
Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 2000
Charlottetown, PEI C1A 8N8
Tel: (902) 368-5200
Fax: (902) 368-6269



Licensing and Registration Services
2260 avenue 11
Regina, SK
S4P 0J9
Tél: 1-800-667-9868

Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec
333, boul Jean-Lesage
CP 19600
Québec QC G1K 8J6
Tel: 418 528-3100
Fax: 418 644-0339



P.O. Box 2703
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
Tel: (403) 667-5315
Fax: (403) 393-6220



Date Modified: