Ensure that you are in possession of valid travel documents when travelling.

Increasing numbers of Trinidadian Canadians have been delayed from returning to Canada - make sure you are not one of them!

Airlines leaving Trinidad and Tobago only recognize a valid Canadian passport when you board the plane, even if you are a Canadian citizen returning home.

Residents of Canada - carry a valid Canadian passport or resident card for yourself and any children travelling with you to help confirm your legal right to enter Canada.

Canadian citizens may face delays or may not be allowed to board the plane or other conveyance if they present other documents such as a:

  • Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)/Enhanced Identification Card (EIC)
  • NEXUS card (used where the program is available)
  • Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card used in FAST lanes
  • Canadian citizenship card
  • Certificate of Indian Status
  • Birth certificate in combination with either a driver's licence or a government-issued photo identification

If you do not have a current Canadian passport and are not allowed to board the plane, you will have to apply for a replacement passport at the High Commission of Canada in Port of Spain. Forms are available online  and the normal processing time is 20 business days.

Requests for expedited services are handled on a case-by-case basis.