Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians

Living/Travelling Abroad

The Embassy of Canada in Turkey also provides consular services to Canadians living and travelling in Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Turkmenistan.

The Consulate General of Canada in Istanbul provides consular services to Canadians living and travelling in the region of Istanbul.

Preparation is the key to successful travel. By doing your homework before you leave, you minimize the chances of something going wrong. Below you will find a broad range of information to help you prepare for a safe and enjoyable journey.

New Citizenship Rules

PAY ONLINE before you apply for the following passport services:

  • Regular adult passports (5- and 10-year validity)
  • Child passports (5-year validity)
  • The administrative fee for replacing a valid lost or stolen passport ($45)

More information can be found on the CIC website.

New visa law goes into effect in Turkey on February 1, 2012

As of the 1st of February 2012, Canadian nationals holding a 90-day visa must leave Turkey for a period of 90 days before being allowed to come back. This effectively brings the number of times a person can obtain a 90-day visa to twice a year. (once every 180 days)

Canadians who have to remain in Turkey longer than 90 days at a time will have to obtain a RESIDENCE PERMIT from the FOREIGN POLICE in the Province where they reside.

Please note that RESIDENCE PERMIT or a 90-day VISA does not allow a person to work. Turkish missions outside of Turkey are still the source to obtain a WORK PERMIT. 90-day visas will still be good for multiple entries.

Table of Content

Registration of Canadians Abroad (ROCA)

Registration of Canadians Abroad is a free service that allows the Government of Canada to notify you in case of an emergency abroad or a personal emergency at home. The service also enables you to receive important information before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest.

We encourage you to register whether you are planning a vacation or living abroad.

The personal information obtained through registration is confidential and is used in accordance with the provisions of the Privacy Act*.

Why register?
So that we can contact and assist you in case of an emergency abroad or inform you of an emergency at home.

Who should register?
All Canadians travelling or living abroad.

What's different about the new system?
The improved system allows you to better manage and update your own information *online.

What if I've already registered?
If you registered before December 14, 2008, you must register again in order to receive further safety and security updates.

How do I register?
You can register online at Registration of Canadians Abroad or by contacting a Canadian government office abroad.

For more information, call:

1-800-267-6788 (in Canada and the U.S.),
1-800-394-3472 (TTY), or 613-944-6788.

* Information obtained through registration is confidential and is used in accordance with the provisions of the Privacy Act.

Marriage in Turkey

All marriages in Turkey must be performed under the authority of the Turkish Civil Code to be legally recognized. Religious ceremonies are not legally recognized.

Please be advised that no marriage ceremonies are performed at the Embassy of Canada or Consulate in Turkey.

Turkish women who have been previously married may not remarry within 300 days of the final date of divorce or the death of her husband. This waiting period can only be waived with a Turkish court decree.

A medical examination is required in order to marry. The examination may be performed in designated medical clinics determined by the Turkish Bureau of Marriages. Each marriage bureau will use different clinics for these tests. You will need to contact the marriage bureau of your choice for the addresses of these clinics. A report of medical examination includes applicant's blood type and results of blood tests for HIV, Hepatitis B & C, and Syphilis and indicates that the applicant has no contagious diseases.

The Embassy of Canada can provide you with a Statutory Declaration for the Purpose of Marriage. This document is multilingual so you would not need to get it translated and you would not need any other documents from Canada.  Please bring your valid Canadian Passport along with your fiancée’s valid government ID that bears a signature. If you were married before please provide us with your divorce date and ex-spouse’s first and last name and the Consular fee of 95 Canadian Dollars or Turkish Lira equivalent.

Beware of Scams


Scammers may pose as people you know and trust, and then make desperate appeals for cash to deal with an emergency. Their goal is to trick you into sending money before you realize it’s a scam.

You get a call, email, or text from someone claiming to be a friend who says s/he needs you to wire cash to help her/him out of a jam – to fix a car, get out of jail, pay a hospital bill, or leave a foreign country. There might be a second person in on the scheme – someone who claims to be an authority figure, like a judge, lawyer, or police officer. These callers may claim that your friend won’t be allowed to leave the country unless you send money right away.

Please do not transfer any funds and please ask him/her to contact the Consulate General in Istanbul or the Embassy of Canada in Ankara, Turkey. Please find our contact information below:

Embassy of Canada
Cinnah Caddesi No: 58 Çankaya, Ankara, TURKEY,
+90 312 409 2700

Consulate of Canada
Büyükdere Caddesi No: 209, Tekfen Tower 16th Floor
4 Levent, Istanbul, TURKEY,
+90 212 385 9700

Don’t wire money to a stranger or someone you haven’t met in person. That includes:

  • anyone who insists on wire transfers for payment
  • an online love interest who asks for money
  • someone advertising an apartment or vacation rental online
  • a potential employer or someone who is hiring you to be a mystery shopper
  • someone who claims to be a relative or friend in need. They say they’re in a foreign hospital or jail, and they beg you not to tell the rest of the family.

Wiring money – through companies like MoneyGram and Western Union – is like sending cash. Once it’s gone, you can’t get it back. That’s one reason scammers often insist that people wire money, especially to addresses overseas. It’s nearly impossible to reverse the transfer, trace the money, or track the recipients.

In a variation, scammers ask you to deposit a check for them, and then wire money back to them. The scam is that the check is fake. It will bounce, and you’ll owe your bank the money you withdrew. By law, banks must make the funds from deposited checks available within a few days, but it can take weeks to uncover a fake check. It may seem that the check has cleared and that the money is in your account. But if a check later turns out to be a fake, you’ll owe the bank any money you withdrew.

Many scams are initiated through the internet; victims range in age and come from all socio-economic backgrounds. The anonymity of the internet means that you cannot be sure of the real name, age, marital status, nationality, or even gender of the correspondent.

Canadian citizens are cautioned against sending any money to persons they have not actually met.

All types of advance-fee scams have one point in common – the targeted person is led to believe that he or she has a chance to attain something of very great personal value (financial reward, a romantic relationship, etc.).  As a general rule, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

If you feel you have been a victim of an internet scam, it is best to end all communications with the scam artist, rather than attempt resolution. It is extremely rare for victims to recover lost money.  If you feel threatened in any way, you should report your situation to the local police.

If you are concerned about a Canadian in distress abroad, but you are not sure if it is a legitimate case, contact consular services at 1-613-9968885 (collect call) or e-mail at

Please see some of key signs below:

  • The scammer and the victim meet online – often through internet dating or employment sites.
  • The scammer asks for money to get out of a bad situation or to provide a service.
  • Photographs that the scammer sends of “him/herself” show a very attractive person. The photo appears to have been taken at a professional modeling agency or photographic studio.
  • The scammer has incredibly bad luck– often getting into car crashes, arrested, mugged, beaten, or hospitalized – usually all within the course of a couple of months. They often claim that their key family members (parents and siblings) are dead.
  • The scammer claims to be a Canadian citizen, but uses poor grammar indicative of a non-native English speaker.

Please note that it is very common scam and it happens all the time. You can check the links below for more information.

Please click on the link below regarding the procedures for reporting these scams:

Travelling with Medication

Two classes of medicines – narcotics and psychotropics – are under the purview of international law. This covers any medicine that can have an effect on the Central Nervous System (CNS) and the potential to be abused. The narcotic class mostly relates to analgesic opioids and their derivatives (e.g. morphine and codeine) which tend to be highly regulated. Psychotropics are all those medications likely to be used to treat mental disorders such as anxiety, depression, and psychotic conditions.

In practice, some countries will include a range of medications used to treat neurological conditions such as epilepsy and Parkinson’s disease to their regulated list. Others would even include sedating antihistamines as a banned substance. The message is therefore to be wary of carrying any medicine with the potential to affect the Central Nervous System.

To view the international agreements governing the transportation of medications across borders check the International Narcotics Control Board (INCB) website. An independent and quasi-judicial organization, the INCB is responsible for international drug control. Their site contains statements and broad principles relating to travellers intending to travel with narcotics and psychotropics, mainly:

  • That travellers should be allowed to carry quantities of such substances for personal use, usually for use of up to one month.
  • That travellers have a letter or prescription from their doctor if travelling with a narcotic substance (but not necessarily for pyschotropics).

The INCB also requires countries to submit their own individual regulations which can be viewed here. The problem is that not all of them have submitted entries; many are quite vague, and most deviate in some way even from the two INCB principles described above.

Travelling with medicines checklist:

  • Check the INCB Guidelines if travelling with medications that are narcotics or psychotropics.
  • Be aware of medications with potential for abuse (e.g. anabolic steroids).
  • Be aware that many countries permit taking only a 30-day supply of certain medicines and require carrying a prescription or an import license certificate.
  • Keep the tablets together with the original packaging and information leaflet. Carry a copy of your prescription, particularly for prescribed medicines that act on the Central Nervous System.
  • Bring a copy of your original prescription and keep the medication in its original packaging. Ensure that it is clearly labelled with your full passport name, doctor’s name, generic and brand name, and exact dosage.
  • Carry a letter from your doctor (preferably translated in the language understood at your destination) or an IAMAT Traveller Clinical Record describing your condition and the treatment plan. This will facilitate border crossing and help the attending physician abroad.
  • If you need syringes, get a note from your doctor explaining their use. Find out from your airline or other transportation company about the use of syringes during transit.

Driving in Turkey

Foreigners visiting Turkey as tourists for stays up to 90 days may drive in Turkey with their valid driving licence regardless of its country of issue; carrying an International Driving License/Permit (IDL/P) is optional but not obligatory unless the foreign licence does not display an identity photograph.

Foreign residents of Turkey may drive using their valid foreign licence; however, a notarized translation of the licence must be kept with it at all times. It is recommended to also carry an International Driving License/Permit issued by the country that issued the driving licence. This is essential if the licence does not display an identity photo. Confirm with the vehicle insurance company whether the licence should be exchanged for a Turkish one. Some require a foreign licence to be exchanged within 12 months of residency for the insurance to remain valid.

For more information on International Driving Permit, or IDP, please visit the following site:

How to Replace a Canadian ID

Canadian Identification

Losing your identification can be a frustrating experience, especially if you are travelling overseas.

If your identification has been lost or stolen, or you are applying for the first time, please see the information below on how to obtain Canadian identification. The Embassy only accepts applications for Certificates of Canadian Citizenship. All other identification must be requested directly from Service Canada or from your provincial/territorial government.

Certificates of Canadian Citizenship

Applications for Certificates of Canadian Citizenship may be made at the Embassy. Forms are available online at or at the Consular Section of the Embassy.

Social Insurance Number Cards (SIN)

Application for a new or a replacement social insurance number card can be made through Service Canada. Information and applications can be accessed online at:

Permanent Resident Card

Please visit the website of Citizenship and Immigration Canada at:

Old Age Security (OAS) Identification Card

You may apply for a replacement card by phone or by mail. You should provide your full name, your Social Insurance Number and your mailing address. For telephone requests, please call Service Canada toll-free at: 001-800-15-8622-6232 or dial direct to: 1 (613) 990-2244. By mail from outside of Canada, you should write to the office in the province or territory where you last resided. You may find mailing addresses on the website of Service Canada at:

Health Cards

Please contact the local health authority in your province or territory.

British Columbia:
New Brunswick:
Newfoundland and Labrador:
Nova Scotia:
Northwest Territories:
Prince Edward Island:

Birth, Death, Marriage Certificates

Certificates are available from the Registrar of Vital Statistics in the province or territory where the event occurred. Online ordering is available in some areas. Canada does not maintain a central registry. Listed below are links to the relevant department in each province or territory.

Vital Statistics OfficeTelephone FaxWebsite
Alberta(780) 427-7013
British Columbia(250) 952-2681(250)
Manitoba(204) 945-3701 (E)(204) 948-3128
New Brunswick(204) 945-5500 (F)  
 (506) 453-2385(506)
Newfoundland and Labrador(709) 729-3308(709)
Northwest Territories(867) 777-7420(867)
Nova Scotia(902) 424-4381(902)
Nunavut Territory(867) 645-8002(867) 645-8092 
Ontario(416) 325-8305(807)
Prince Edward Island(902) 838-0880(902)
Quebec(418) 643-3900(418)
Saskatchewan(306) 787-3092(306)
Yukon Territory(867) 667-5207(867)

Driver’s Licence or Identification Card

Inquiries about renewal and replacement Canadian Driver’s Licences should be made at the appropriate provincial/territorial licencing office. Visit your provincial or territorial website for more information:

OfficeTelephone FaxWebsite
Alberta Registry
(780) 422-7330(780)
British Columbia
(604) 661-2800(604)
Manitoba Public Insurance
(204) 985-7000(204)
New Brunswick
Service New Brunswick
(506) 684-7901
Motor Registration Division
(709) 729-2521(709)
Northwest Territories
Department of Transportation
(867) 873-7418(867)
Nova Scotia(902) 424-5851(902)
Department of Economic Development and Transportation
(867) 975-5028(867)
Ministry of Transportation
(416) 235-2999(416)
Prince Edward Island
Department of Transportation
(902) 368-5200(902)
Saskatchewan - SGI1-800-667-9868(306)
Société de l'assurance
automobile du Québec
(418) 528-3100(418)
Yukon Territory(403) 667-5315(403)

Supplemental content


Date Modified: