Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians
  4. >
  5. Living / Travelling in Ukraine


On February 24, 2015 the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine adopted a decree that abolished the requirement for foreign citizens who intend to register their marriage in Ukraine to submit a proof of marital status document. 

As of now, foreign citizens will indicate their marital status in the application form for the state registration of marriage. By signing the form they confirm acknowledgement of legal consequences that may result in annulment should the provided information be incorrect. 

Other documents required by the Ukrainian vital statistics authorities: 

  • Divorce Certificate (if applicable)
  • Death Certificate (for a deceased spouse)

These documents have to be authenticated by:

  1. Provincial Government Authorities or by the Authentication and Service of Documents Section (JLAC) of the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada.
  2. Ukrainian Embassy in Canada, Ottawa or Ukrainian Consulate General in Toronto

Ukrainian vital statistics authorities do not accept "Certified True Copies" of the Divorce/Death Certificates and require that these documents be translated into Ukrainian language.

Important notice: It is your responsibility to contact the office of the Ukrainian vital statistics where you intend to register your marriage for a complete list of documents required for this procedure.


Date Modified: