Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home

Notarial Services

Certain notarial services are provided at the Consular Section of the Canadian High Commission at Canada House (please check our Hours of Operation and Office Closures before visiting).

When requesting a notarial service by mail, please mark your envelope for the attention of the Consular Section (Notarial Services) and ensure that you provide us with your full name, address, a daytime telephone number and the relevant fee.

Please note that the High Commission does not provide notarial services which could be provided by a local UK solicitor or notary public. The federal Canada Evidence Act provides that affidavits or statutory declarations executed abroad before authorized persons (such as UK based solicitors and notary publics) and bearing that person’s name and seal of office are valid, have the same force and effect as if taken in Canada by an authorized person, and will be admitted in evidence in Canada without further proof. If you are asked to sign a document before an officer at the Canadian High Commission, please provide the requesting organisation with the above information and confirm that you can instead visit a UK notary or solicitor.

If you require notarial services related to real estate transactions, please contact a local UK solicitor or notary public. The following law firms have indicated that they are able to provide this service. Please contact them for further details:

Services which we can provide if no alternative is available:

Services we cannot provide:

Please note that if your document is for use in a foreign country, it is incumbent on you to verify acceptable methods of authentication with the receiving authority. The Canadian High Commission does not attach apostilles to documents, and consequently embassies and authorities in foreign counties may not recognise a document authenticated by the High Commission. Global Affairs Canada offers an authentication of documents service and can forward your documents to a foreign embassy in Ottawa if required.

If you are planning to get married abroad, please see the information on the Certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad page.

If you need to have your signature witnessed on a document and you are some distance from London, you may wish to contact one of our Honorary Consuls in Edinburgh, Belfast or Cardiff, to see if they are available to assist you.

Some UK documents can be legalised by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.


Date Modified: