Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a work permit to work at the Canadian High Commission?
Prospective candidates must be resident outside of Canada and legally qualified to work in the UK in order to be eligible for employment at the Canadian High Commission. Citizens of non EU countries may apply to their nearest British High Commission/Embassy prior to arriving in the UK to obtain a Working Holiday Maker Visa (available up to the age of 30). Students currently studying in the UK are normally covered by their student status allowing them to work up to a maximum of 20 hours per week. If it is your intention to work in the UK at anytime, please contact your nearest British High Commission or Consulate for further information and to discuss your particular situation. Documentation will be required to confirm right to work/work permit status. The Canadian High Commission does not sponsor work permit applications on behalf of candidates.

Please visit the Home Office website for additional information on working in the UK.

I don't have an e-mail address. Will that be a problem?
A valid email address is required. Free email accounts are available from many websites.

I don't have Internet access at home. Is there another method of submitting my application?
As you are applying for an online competition, you must only submit your application electronically. If you are unable to access the Internet in the convenience of your home or through friends, relatives or neighbours, here are some suggestions for alternate locations: campus career centers, libraries, community centers, and Internet cafés.

Do I require a special format for my résumé?
We accept résumés formatted in Word, WordPerfect or PDF.

I have missed the deadline for a position. Can I still apply?
We are unable to accept applications after the position has been closed.

How will I know that you've received my application?
You will receive an email confirming we have received your application.

How long does it take to let me know if I will be invited to tests?
Typically, candidates will be contacted within a few weeks of the closing date. Please verify the specific job's advertisement for details.

How long does it take to hear if I've been granted an interview?
We aim to contact you within a few weeks after you have attended the tests.

Will my application be kept on file?
Your application will not be kept on file. We encourage you to visit our Job opportunities page regularly to ensure that you are fully aware of all potential employment opportunities.

Does the Canadian High Commission have an internship program?
The Canadian High Commission in London does not have an internship program. There are possibilities for internship with the Government of Canada and with the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade. Please visit the Useful links section on our website for additional information.

Does the Canadian High Commission have a Work Experience program?
The Canadian High Commission in London does not have a Work Experience program.

I am interested in working at the Canadian High Commission in the summer. Where can I apply for summer employment?
Opportunities for summer employment are posted online. Please refer to our Job opportunities page.

When will the next Foreign Service Exam be scheduled here in London and how do I apply?
Please refer to the Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada website for all application details and dates.

Do you have a fax number where I could send my résumé?
We do not accept résumés that are faxed to us.

May I send my application also by post?
We do not accept applications by post. If you are applying for an online competition, you must only submit your application electronically. Do not send in a paper version. People with a disability which makes it difficult for them to register online may contact us.


Date Modified: